Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Technology Tuesday

Today’s Technology Tuesday comes from Imagine!’s Assistive Technology Lab facilitator Stephanie Tilley. Stephanie shares how she used her creativity to produce some simple, inexpensive, but very functional adaptive switches for people served by Imagine!. 

Way to go, Stephanie! 

Cost Effective Adaptive Switches 

I was recently scouring the internet to find some adaptive switches for our Cause and Effect class. While limited in my selection, there were some very nice switches. I was able to purchase ONE that was tactile and had the bonus of a visual reinforcement when pressed, but it was a bit pricey, costing $85 for one switch. I wanted to purchase more, but they didn’t quite fit my needs and once again were a bit pricey.

Then I remembered that we had a box of about 20 switch covers to replace covers as needed (which is not often). I looked on Amazon for tactile or sensory items. I found the Infantino Textured Multi Ball Set for less than $10 and it included 6 BPA free, hard plastic, light weight, textured balls. I used hot glue to attach the balls to the switch covers. I now have three more adaptive switch options for less than $10 by using what I had available, a little creativity, and hot glue!

Adaptive purchased switch on the left with three adaptive switches that I made on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment