Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mandy's Short Story - The Little Girl’s Birthday Dream

Note: The story below was written by Mandy, who lives at the Bob and Judy Charles SmartHome in Boulder, and is using some of the technology in the SmartHome and in CORE/Labor Source classes to write articles for the Imagine! employee newsletter. If you cross paths with Mandy, please thank her for her valued contributions to the newsletter.

There was a little girl. She had a dream. The little girl couldn't decide what she wanted for her birthday. She was turning four. She still wanted to learn to read. The parents and teachers felt she needed to learn her ABCs, counting, colors, writing, spelling, words, and math. The parents said, yes indeed. The little girl said, I go to school to play with my friends and to learn how to cook. I'm not in school to learn about everyday life skills. Most kids my age want to go to school and they like school. I think school is boring. I don't have to get up in the morning to get on the bus for school. I’m not going to college and I don't have any knowledge. My friends are doing things I'm not but I'm going to cooking school. I like reading cookbooks, just not regular books for school.

The little girl had her fourth birthday. She got a toy kitchen and things to put in the oven. She invited all her friends in the neighborhood. She got a chocolate cake with trick candles for her birthday cake. Have a great day. It's my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment