Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Donna's Diary - May 2011

SmartHome residents Gerald and Donna participated in the Bolder Boulder on Monday. How did it go? Find out by reading Donna’s latest online diary entry.

And click here to see all of Donna’s diary entries.

On Memorial Day Gerald and I were in the Bolder Boulder. Phil and Joseph, who work with us at the Bob and Judy Charles SmartHome, pushed our wheelchairs so we could be in the race, and we sure do appreciate it. They got a good workout because not only did they push us in our chairs for the entire race, but they pushed us from home to where the race started. That had to be another couple of miles. The race doesn’t allow power chairs for safety reasons, so that’s why we needed to be pushed.  
To get to the race by 9:45, we had a quick breakfast before scurrying out the door. Gerald suggested leaving our cell phones at home so we didn’t have to worry about anybody calling us during the race. I met three people I knew during the race. A friend named Dan, Officer Sue (who we know from the Boulder Police Department’s Safety First Class), and the guy who sold my shoes to me. I didn’t expect to see anyone I knew, but things like that happen when you’re in a big crowd.  
There were all kinds of bands along the way. There was even a band that wore red stripping wrapped around them, and a guy who looks like and sounds like Elvis Presley. After the race, both Gerald and I passed on the free beer because it was a bit too early for that, but we each had a pop instead. In our red colored lunch bags were some nice snacks. I traded some of my stuff with Gerald so we both got enough of what we wanted.
My job at In Clover is busy, which is good. On Friday, June 17th, we plan to attend the Millennium Hotel’s FAC because Imagine! will have a booth there. The last couple of years Gerald and I have painted pictures there, but this year we just want to go and relax and hang out with people. We’ll stick to just the chit chat this year.  
Well, in a few minutes, my friend Chloe is coming by to see me. She’s been coming by for about three years now, usually every week. We play Uno, Blokus (a game of strategy), and also just visit with one another. I’m really lucky to have her as a friend, so I’m going to get ready to greet her. Thanks for keeping up with what’s going on in my life, and I’ll be back with more.

No comments:

Post a Comment